Making it Matter: Supporting education in the developing world through open and linked data
Event hashtag: #mim14
The aim is to bring together software developers, educators and individuals from the development community to see how they can work together by using open and linked data to support education in the developing world.
Resources from the day
- Slides and videos of presentations and breakout groups
- Photos on Flickr
- Summary of breakout group sessions
- Etherpad with notes from breakout sessions
- Storify of tweets
- Final programme
The day will have two main activities:
- Firstly there will be focused discussion around real-world requirements in the developing world that could be aided through the releasing of data and/or the building of relevant applications and prototypes. This discussion will feed in to requirements for a focused track for LinkedUp Vici Competition that looks for educational applications that target developing countries, addressing context-specific problems, issues and needs, being technical, societal or environmental.
- Secondly there will be the opportunity to look at tools developed through the LinkedUp Challenge (the Veni and Vidi Competitions) and see how they could be used in the developing world. Feedback from the session could lead to the opportunity for some of the LinkedUp Challenge tools being enrolled to a larger user base at one of the Commonwealth of Learning’s related organisations.
The day will also be a ‘first-step’ in bringing together communities interested in the technical issues related to open data and education in the developing world.
To provide context there will also be a variety of presentations covering ‘open education in the developing world’ and ‘the role open data can play’ dotted throughout the day.
The day is aimed at:
- Teachers and educators enthusiastic about the open education space
- Members of the open development movement
- Members of the open data and linked data communities in particular developers
- Stakeholders from the Commonwealth of Learning
- LinkedUp Challenge participants
The workshop will run from 10am – 4pm. A final programme is available.
The event is free and lunch will be provided. If you would like to attend then please register using the following EventBrite form. As there are a limited number of places could you let us know in advance if you can no longer attend so we can offer your space to someone else.
As this event is focused on the developing world and we would like to include as many people as possible who have experience of living and working in such countries we intend to stream and video the talks from this event and share the outcomes. We will also support remote participation on the day and have set up an etherpad for contributions from people on the break-out topics.
There is a Remote Participation page for the event.
If you have any questions about the day please email firstname.lastname@example.org.